PALANGA BOTANICAL PARK
 
Address: 
15 Vytauto Street, LT-5720 Palanga
Tel.: (+370-460) 49270, 49271

In Short 
Properly

Palanga Botanical Park

In Short

This landscape park is one of the prettiest, best preserved, and best maintained parks in coastal region of Lithuania. In 1897 Count Felix Tiškevičius founded this park around the palace built in the same year. The park was designed by the famous French landscape architect and botanist Eduard Fransua Andre, (1840 -1911), who spent three summers in Palanga with his son Rene Eduard Andre (1867 - 1942) supervising the construction of the park. The Belgian gardener Buyssen de Coulon assisted them.
The contrast of scenery is emphasized by the palace's regular shape: the northern side of which opens onto a magnificent terrace with the steps leading into the park. Flowers and a fountain add more to the effect.
The southern side of the palace is surrounded by an oval rose garden that is connected to the palace's terraces by stairs. Experts guess that the park's founders planted about 500 different kinds of trees and bushes. The trees were brought to Palanga from Berlin, Königsberg and other European botanical gardens.
Today the park covers an area of approximately 100 ha. Trees cover 60 ha, fields 24,5 ha, flowers 0,5 ha, flowing water 1,16 ha. There are 7 sculptures and a number of other architectural structures there. The park has watering and decorative lighting systems.
The park is financed by the town of Palanga.

Prepared by “Gintarinė Palanga”. (Gintarinė Palanga. Palanga, Palanga information center. P. 12)

Properly

This landscaped garden is one of the prettiest, best-preserved, and best-kept parks in Lithuania's coastal region. In 1987 Count Felix Tiskevicius founded this park around the palace built the same year. The park was designed by the famous French landscape architect and botanist Eduard Fransua Andr‚ (1840-1911), who spent three summers in Palanga with his son Ren Eduard Andr (1867-1942) supervising the park's construction. They were assisted by the Belgian gardener Buyssen de Coulon.
Andr's talent and the natural and historical uniqueness of the park's setting successfully blended to create a piece of art.
The scenic park offers a variety of views and moods. The palace is set between a pond and the legendary hill of Birute - an ancient Lithuanian sacred place - that offers a glorious view of the sea. The natural foundation of the park, both in earlier times and now, are relicts of ancient pine forests. Little paths and squares with beautiful flower arrangements are laid out skillfully among the trees.
The contrast of scenery is emphasized by the palace's regular shape: the north side opens onto a magnificent terrace and steps leading into the park. Flowers and a fountain complete the effect. The south side of the palace is surrounded by an oval rose garden that is connected to the palace's terraces by stairs.
Experts guess that the park's founders planted about 500 different kinds of trees and bushes. Trees were brought to Palanga from Berlin, Karaliaucius and other European botanical gardens. Today - as before - pine trees dominate the park. Firs and dark alders grow in the more humid areas. About 250 imported and 370 native plant species are represented. 24 of these are included in Lithuania's list of endangered species (1992 data).
The park has survived two world wars and a number of natural disasters. It has also been extended and restored. However, with the exception of a few details, the park has kept the atmosphere created by Andr, as Florence Andr Kappelin, the head of the E. Andr association, confirmed during her visit to Palanga in 1996.
Today the park covers an area of approximately 100 ha. Trees cover 60 ha, fields - 24.5 ha, flowers - 0.5 ha, flowing water - 1.16 ha. Beach and sand dunes stretch for 1.5 km. Paved and unpaved paths cover 18 km. There are 8 different buildings, 7 sculptures and a number of other architectural structures. The park has plumbing and a decorative lighting system.
The park is financed by the city of Palanga. The "Palanga Botanical Park" institution maintains the park and organizes events.

Photos by Kazimieras Urbonavicius

  

     ©  Lithuanian Art Museum,                                                                                                                                                                           Page update 07.13.10
     ©  Palanga Botanical Park,                                                                                                   
     © Information Centre of Samogitian Cultural Association